IMPRISON TRAITOR TRUMP.

Thursday, March 25, 2021

A drive-in move coming to a theater near ME!


I have just heard some wonderful news.  It seems that drive-in movies are coming to a theater near ME!

In a town just across the Connecticut River from me, called West Springfield, is a large fairgrounds where annually the Eastern States Exposition (The Big E known hereabouts) is held in September showcasing all six New England states.  So instead of a state fair, it's a six-state fair. (More heavy on crab cakes, chowder, baked potatoes, apples, and maple sugar candy than corn dogs, but you can get those, too.) Part of the grounds include extensive parking areas, of course, and somebody got the bright idea to utilize the space in the spring and summer evenings, apparently on into the fall as well (taking a hiatus for the weeks the fair is held).

It's going to be called the West Springfield Drive-In, with space for 600 cars and two screens.  They've announced that one screen will show current films, and the other will show "classics."

Ah, now here is the material point, she said, glowering at the jury.  When they say "classics" do they really mean it?  Or do they think some high school hijinks film from the 1980s is a classic?  I am hoping with all my very might that they mean movies produced before 1965.  I have my doubts.  But I'll let you know.  I'm just happy that a drive-in is coming to my neck of the woods.  

There are no other close drive-ins in my area; you may recall this previous post where I visited a Connecticut drive-in, the first time I'd been to one in almost 50 years.  This other previous post notes the many drive-ins that were once in my area and in the nation in the 1950s and 1960s.

I hope I'll be able to attend a movie at least once this coming summer.  There has been a resurgence of drive-ins, even temporary setups, spurred by COVID restrictions.  Are there any near you?  When's the last time you went to a drive-in movie?

2 comments:

Silver Screenings said...

This is great news – and it would be even better if they showed actual classic films. Very exciting!

It's been many years since I was last at a drive-in theatre, but I hope to experience it again soon.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

It sure is something to look forward to. We'll see how it turns out.

Related Products