IMPRISON TRAITOR TRUMP.

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Alphabet Meme

Having been tagged for the Alphabet Meme by our friend the Siren (see the gory details here), we interrupt our regularly scheduled broadcast for a list of films representing each letter of the alphabet. Most of these films have already been discussed on this blog, and the rest I hope to tackle at some point. Except for “X” which I just swiped because it begins with “X”.

A - All About Eve
B - Best Years of Our Lives, The
C - Casablanca
D - Double Indemnity
E - Enchanted Cottage, The
F - Funny Face
G - Gaslight
H - Holiday Inn
I - I Want You
J - Judgment at Nuremburg
K - King Kong
L - Lost Weekend, The
M - Miracle Worker, The
N - Night Nurse
O - Old Yeller
P - Portrait of Jennie
Q - Quiet Man, The
R - Random Harvest
S - Sunset Blvd.
T - Till the End of Time
U - Unholy Three, The
V - Vertigo
X - X Marks the Spot (okay, so this is really a short subject, not a feature film)
Y - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Z - Zero Hour

According to the rules of this dodge ball game, I’m supposed to tag five others. I could only come up with three whom I thought might participate; I hope they will forgive me. They are (drumroll):

Thom at Film of the Year
Raquelle at Out of the Past
Jonas at All Talking! All Singing! All Dancing!

Please visit their websites for their always interesting contributions on classic films.

This Alphabet Meme originated at Blog Cabins (see here).

10 comments:

Raquel Stecher said...

Good selection! You've got a well-rounded alphabet of classics.

Thank you for tagging me. I've already been tagged by Film for the Soul, but I'll give you a shout out too. Mine'll be up on Friday.

~Raquelle~

Operator_99 said...

Hi Jacqueline,

X Marks The Spot is actually a feature film, in fact a couple of them were made, one in 1931 and another in 1942 with Neil Hamilton and Anne Jefferys, neither in lead roles. The latter is available at archive.org, and I may have tracked down the other through a supplier in Canada - fingers crossed on that one.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Then Raquelle, you're double-dog-tagged. I'll look forward to your list.

Op 99, I had no idea X Marks was a feature. I knew there had been an earlier title, but I wasn't sure if it was actually a remake or not. Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at archive.org.

Jonas Nordin said...

Jaqueline,
Thanks, this means I'm no longer a tag-virgin! Yay!

I will put my list up as soon as possible.

Jonas

The Siren said...

I love this list. You're as hopeless a romantic as I am, maybe even more so--and a hard-core Dorothy McGuire fan! I Want You, gosh it has been ages since I saw that one.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

"Thanks, this means I'm no longer a tag-virgin!" - I hope I was gentle. Welcome to the unruly mob, Jonas. I'll look forward to your list.

Campaspe, the only reason I put up "Gaslight" instead of "Gentleman's Agreement" was I thought maybe I was overdoing it on McGuire, but you've found me out anyway. One of these days I'm going to dive into a post on "I Want You". Maybe after the holidays. We've got an awful lot of turkey and tinsel to muck through for the next several weeks.

Anonymous said...

Jacqueline -

A few hings about your meme:

1) The list is a kind of re-affirmation of your cinematic imagination--at least as far as we've gotten to know it through your blog. I love how it functions as an ideal primer for anyone getting acclimated with the spirit behind Another Old Movie Blog.

2) Somehow, we have no duplicates on our respective lists even though I know you are a fan of some of the items on mine and I enjoyed watching just about everything on your list, exceptions being X Marks the Spot, Till the End of Time, Zero Hour which I don't recall having seen.

3) I was sure I'd see Gentleman's Agreement on here, but you've already explained its absence.

4) Please e-mail me when you're putting together the post on I Want You. That film is mentioned in a post I've been working up for a few weeks now and I'd love to link to your post when I complete it.

5) Thanks for tagging me. It was a fun, quick brainstorming exercise of pictures that sit at the top of our awareness.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Hi, Thom. There is a lack of slapstick and screwball comedy on my list, which I love, so I'm afraid the list isn't entirely indicative of my cinematic imagination. But as you say, for a quick brainstorming exercise it might very well be a kind of Rorschach test.

I'll be happy to contact you on "I Want You". It's got some very interesting elements, especially when you compare it to "Best Years of Our Lives", which is what I would probably do. I don't know when I'll get it, though. I'd love to see what you think of it's representation of Korean War era America.

Anonymous said...

LOOKING FOR THE NAME OF A OLD MOVIE. MOST I CAN REMEMBER A WOMAN WAS PAINTING ON THE BEACH. SHE MET A NAVY OFFICER THEY HAD A FLING. I THINK HE FELL DOWN THE STEPS AND DID NOT SURVIVE. THE INSPECTOR KNEW WHAT HAPPENED BUT DID NOT PURSUE IT. , FINAL SCENE SHE IS DANCING WITH HER HUSBAND AND CRYING BECASUE HER AND THE NAVY MAN DANCED TO THE SAME SONG
CURIOUS GEORGE

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

But I'll try to find out, my loud friend.

Related Products