IMPRISON TRAITOR TRUMP.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving leftovers...




Joseph Cotten snacks on a leftover leg from the icebox in “Since You Went Away” (1944).  Claudette Colbert is about to get him a glass of milk.  Today we acknowledge the post-Thanksgiving tradition of leftovers.
Being thankful for one’s blessings softens the otherwise somewhat obscene nature of a holiday where we do nothing but eat until we are sick.  And then enjoy leftovers for days afterward.  In a world where millions go hungry, we surely must also be thankful that we have leftovers that last for days.

Alexis Smith seems thankful to have that turkey leg here in “One More Tomorrow” (1946).  That’s Dennis Morgan pouring her a cocktail.  I, too, like to eat leftovers in evening clothes, wearing white opera gloves as I chow down on a turkey leg.  A gentleman in white tie and tails pouring me champagne is one of the things I am most thankful for.

My word, but she’s enjoying that turkey leg.  She gnaws on it all during the conversation like a junkyard dog.
 
Even when debating on who gets the next dance, Jack Carson or John Loder, she still lugs around that turkey leg, seemingly unwilling to part with it just to fox trot.  Oh, what to do?


We’ll visit with Alexis on Thursday when we celebrate the anniversary of Mark Twain’s birth in “The Adventures of Mark Twain” (1944), starring Fredric March.  One hopes she’ll have done eating by then and we can get down to business.


3 comments:

Laura said...

What a kick! I recorded this movie from TCM a while back. I obviously need to get it out and watch it! :)

Thanks for a post which made me smile!
Laura

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Hi, Laura. I have a few recorded movies myself that I need to sit down and watch. So many movies, so little time.

Laura said...

I guess it's a good problem to have! I could sure use a lot more time in my day to watch movies. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

Related Products