IMPRISON TRAITOR TRUMP.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gathering of the Movie Stars

Have a look below at this gathering of movie stars in 1974 for the festivities surrounding the release of "That's Entertainment".  They are introduced alphabetically to take a bow.

I think what moves me most is the big hand bit actor Marjorie Main receives, how all the big stars applaud her, help her onto the stage, the way mega-star Myrna Loy holds onto Marjorie Main with affection and to physically support the frail older woman. 

All dressed to the nines, coiffed, in their 1970s glamour, maxi dresses, gowns and ruffled shirts, perhaps defying the notion that they are merely to be put on display as products of 1970s nostalgia craze.  It is a moment for the present, not the past, because they really cannot recreate the Golden Age of Hollywood.  They know that better than we do.  We movie buffs will look at this with warm smiles and soft eyes for regret of days gone by-- that most of us do not remember.  They, however, are living firmly in the here and now as it was the night of this banquet.  They are on the town.

"Do not go gentle in that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light," poet Dylan Thomas said.

Marjorie Main was something like 84, and would die the following year.

How many of your favorites are here? 

(Don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the blog and mute the music so you can hear the video.)



I'd love to know what you think about this clip.

9 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

Oh, my. Did they have to start with the last scene of "Show Boat"? It goes directly to my tear ducts.

It is thrilling to see all of those people together, but the sense that they belonged in the past must have been odd to those with still viable careers. Ginger might be frozen in the 1930s for movie fans, but she was still getting out on and doing her thing.

A couple of observations:

Eva always seemed so effortlessly glamorous and Zsa Zsa always seemed like she was trying too hard.

Glad to see those Canadian gals Ann R. and Alexis S. next to each other through the happenstance of the alphabet, and followed by Mr. Stevens.

Dennis Morgan still had his Dennis Morgan smile! For some reason, that made me uncommonly happy.

I've never seen this before and am glad you posted it. It stirs thoughts and memories.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Hi, CW. "... the sense that they belonged in the past must have been odd to those with still viable careers." Exactly, and most, I think were, or at least taking the odd TV movie or guest spot when it was offered them.

Didn't know Ann Rutherford was your countrywoman. Alexis does look stunning though, doesn't she? Something like 53 years old and not a day over 30.

Interesting observation on the Gabor sisters. I agree one would know Dennis Morgan anywhere by that smile.

I know there must have been a bunch who probably couldn't make it but belong here, like Mickey Rooney.

We'll never see their like again. That ownership of elegance.

LucieWickfield said...

Wow, what an incredible piece of footage! I must admit, I felt a rather peculiar wish to see them in their old 40's/50's attire.
Gotta love Fred Astaire jogging across the stage and Gene Kelly giving out with his signature hi gang-ish wave.
Why do I get the sense Fred and Ginger could still have danced better than most of the people in the room?

Thanks so much for posting the video! S'Wonderful.

LucieWickfield said...

Whoops " 'S Wonderful." Obviously too early in the morning to be dealing with apostrophes. I think I'm awake now.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

"Kelly giving out with his signature hi gang-ish wave." - cute. Russ Tamblyn's phony trip and flip, too. For a minute there, I thought he was going to re-enact "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".

Yvette said...

Thanks for this, Jacqueline. It brought a tear to my eye when I realized that most of these wonderful actors are gone.

I love that Russ Tamblyn did that acrobatic thing. He's still around I think - not sure, though. Of course I love Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire...well, in truth I loved most of them. Marjorie Main was so fabulous. Love her to bits.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Hi, Yvette. It is quite moving, isn't it? The old gang.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy Durante got a big cheer too. I think people like Durante and Marjorie Main just make people SMILE. Everyone loves them. Marie Dressler was the same in her day.

Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

You're right.

Related Products